This two day course is very interactive – it is based on practical and operationally usable methodologies which students will be able to apply immediately. The afternoon session of day 2 is a practical session which takes the students through conducting a ‘real world’ deployment in small groups. This will involve planning an OSINT gathering operation, gathering intelligence about a number of subjects, and then putting together the findings into a professional standard report. The course attempts to be ‘system agnostic’ so is not tied to any particular tools, software or services. Whilst the course requires a basic level of computer skill, it requires no pre-existing skill set and will be understood by anyone familiar with computers and the internet. This course can include a day of Digital Document Forensics (in between day one and two). The practical exercise will be adapted to test both OSINT and Digital Document Forensics skills.
The course provides students with the skills and knowledge needed to gather Open Source Intelligence by covering the following topics :
- Understanding what OSINT is
- How OSINT can help combat fraud and deception
- The uses and limitations of OSINT
- What is the intelligence cycle?
- How does OSINT fit?
- Legal aspects of OSINT
- Basics of networking (IP addresses, VPNs etc.)
- Anonymity and staying safe online
- Recording and documenting your deployment
- Planning an OSINT operation
- Creating a ‘profile’ of a subject
- ‘Frontline’ OSINT checks and searches
- Advanced methodologies for gathering intelligence on the main Social Media platforms
- Developing leads and corroborating evidence
- Practical exercises in gathering intelligence online
- Avoiding intelligence bias
- Identifying fake profiles/accounts
- Common pitfalls and mistakes in OSINT
- Designing an OSINT report
- Developing OSINT as a capability
- Undertake a ‘real world’ practical exercise to reinforce the skills learnt through previous sessions
- Understand how to divide OSINT tasks for the best use of time and resources
- Understand how to create a professional OSINT report of the findings
- Next steps and developing knowledge
There are no upcoming events at this time.