To provide all staff who work in a counter fraud environment with an understanding of court procedures and the skills and knowledge to present evidence clearly and effectively when giving evidence in chief and whilst under cross examination.
On completion of the course students should be able to:
- Identify the roles of different parties in court cases
- Understand the role of the Crown Prosecution Service
- Describe the court process
- Define the terms real, oral and documentary evidence and how they differ from one another
- Describe what is meant by the terms direct, circumstantial, hearsay and admissible
- State how to prepare for the examination in chief process
- Identify what professionalism means in relation to giving evidence in chief and during cross examination
- Describe how notes are introduced by a witness
- Appreciate the tactics used by the defence
- Deliver evidence clearly and effectively under cross examination
- Demonstrate their learning using case study material
Who should attend
- All Counter Fraud Investigators whose duties include attending court to give evidence
- All Counter Fraud Managers whose duties include the quality assurance of the evidence gathered
- Accredited Counter Fraud Specialists who have identified this area for inclusion in their Continuing Professional Development programme
The course is very interactive being practical skills and knowledge based. Training methodologies include classroom based learning; trainer led discussion; syndicate and pair working; quiz activities; power points and case studies. The training is fully evaluated with results fed back to the organisation.
Assessment and trainers
Students have the opportunity to assess their learning through the completion of a multiple choice question test and, on successful completion, receive a certificate to evidence their Continuing Professional Development. The course is delivered by an experienced and qualified Counter Fraud trainer and a practising defence Barrister.
Duration and student numbers
Each course is tailored to meet the specific needs of the customer. Depending on the depth of content and the amount of practical application, one to two days with a maximum of eight.
There are no upcoming events at this time.