What the training covers
Morning – Theory and understanding
The morning session gives students an understanding of the basics of data analytics, how it can be used in combatting fraud and how to identify common fraud trends. This session also gives students a practical insight into application and third party fraud, and how that may appear in data.
Session One (09:30 – 10:00)
- Programme outline
- Icebreaker – getting to know you
Session Two (10:00 – 11:00)
Theory and foundation learning
- Understanding data analytics
- Understanding where data analytics fits in countering fraud
- Understanding application fraud and third party (account takeover) fraud
Session Three (11:00 – 12:00)
- Identifying types of fraudulent activity
- Understanding trends in customer account/transaction data
- Developing hypotheses and test scenarios
Lunch (12:00 – 12:30)
Afternoon – Practical*
The afternoon session is split into two parts; the first looks at how to practically work with a dataset, run a number of tests/validations and avoid flagging false positives. The second part is a group practical exercise going through a ‘real world’ scenario.
Session Four (12:30 – 15:00)
Data analytics in practice
- Methodologies for working with data sets (either in Excel or SQL)
- Finding outliers and anomalies
- Understanding statistical relevance and avoiding false positives
Session Five (15:00 – 17:00)
- A guided group exercise to understand the practicalities of finding fraudulent activity in a data set
- Guidance on how to produce an easy to understand report of findings
Session Six (17:00 – 18:00)
- Knowledge check
- Guidance on further learning and development
The course itself is very interactive – it is based on practical and usable methodologies which students will be able to apply immediately. The data sets used in training try to be as general as possible, to cover a wide variety of scenarios.Whilst no specialist computer skills are required, students should have a basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel or a similar database product.
*The practical exercise can be tailored to the requirements/industry of the wider group.
For further details or to discuss a course booking please contact Peter at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Located in Dartmouth, Devon in the UK, PDA provide training both nationally and internationally.
For further information on any of our products and services please contact either Peter or Malcolm, between the hours of 8am to 8pm: